[TriLUG] support for switching to Linux, esp. for schools

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 14:33:56 EST 2006

A recent thread and a slashdot entry got me to wondering: who around
here would/could do initial setup and/or ongoing support for switching
a school to Linux. My mom is the principal of an elementary school in
Greensboro. Who should she call up if she wants to get her school
switched? Keep in mind that she'd have to sell the idea to her boss,
so me (her son, a student) doing it wouldn't fly.

I know there are some great web resources and distros out there (eg.
edubuntu, http://www.ltsp.org/ ), but who are the people who could
make it happen locally?

Any redhatters wanna pipe up on what you guys offer?
http://www.redhat.com/en_us/USA/home/solutions/education/ didn't tell
me too much.

Anybody have an Edubuntu success story?

Some time back I watched TechCoaches.org get up and moving with a
LiveCD project for home use:

http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/components/whatsnew/default.php?sectiondetailid=8599&id=291&viewType=detail

but haven't heard anything recently. Anybody?

TIA,
CMP

--

Cristobal M. Palmer