[TriLUG] support for switching to Linux, esp. for schools

Myrhillion lug at blackwizard.net
Wed Mar 1 19:39:26 EST 2006

Cristobal,

Each school system or LEA (local education agency) generally has a
director level type IT person working at the school system's central office.
This is generally within the superintendent's office for the LEA, for
Greensboro (guilford county), it's 370-8390.
http://www.gcsnc.com/information/departments.html

Here's a link to technology services at GCS:
http://its.gcsnc.com/   (you should explore this for the technology plan)

You basically have to sell it to the guy that runs IT for the school
system, it won't happen unless he _successfully_ pitches
it to the superintendent or the school system has a more liberal school
by school policy (more common in smaller systems I think).
You might call up and have a conversation with the IT director about how
they implement labs and such in the school systems before you go
anywhere else or
spend more energy on a plan.   That said, developing and practicing
planning skills is very useful!

As far as who could do this in your area, a good place to start is with
the local chamber of commerce for your city.
http://www.greensboro.org/
Go to business directory and do a search on "computers", beyond that
you'd have to contact each service vendor and find out
if they "do linux".

Good luck!

Doug Taggart
Troops to Teachers