[TriLUG] Re: Problems with Sendmail

Brian Weaver cmdrclueless at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 14:50:45 EST 2006

OOPS, appears the link didn't quite go where I wanted it.

----
30.8.22 F=g

Suppress From:<>
(V8.6 and above)

    The special address <> is used as the envelope sender when
sendmail bounces a mail message. This address is intended to prevent
bounced messages from themselves bouncing. Unfortunately, not all
configuration files properly handle this form of sender address. The
stock SunOS configuration files prior to Solaris 2.3, for example,
caused sendmail to enter an endless loop when processing <>. Also,
some UUCP implementations get confused when they are executed with
command line arguments of:

-f <>

    As an interim measure, until all programs learn to correctly
handle the <> address, you may use the F=g flag to suppress that
address for selected delivery agents. If the F=g flag is set for a
delivery agent, it uses the value of $g (see Section 31.10.16) in
place of the <>, where $g contains $n (usually MAILER-DAEMON see
Section 31.10.26, $n) with an @ and your domain name appended.

----

--

/* insert witty comment here */