[TriLUG] microsoft ad

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sat Mar 4 15:56:58 EST 2006

i define "there" as taking less time to set up for operation for the
customer and, therefore, costing less money due to less labor.

using my own production rate, i can load a linux desktop will all
patches and applications in an hour.  it takes at least twice as long to
do so with winders.

using the production rate of two different experts who have loaded
servers for me, they take longer to get a server functional in linux
than it takes me in winders.

so, from a cost point of view, desktops in linux are ready to go.  the
server side will probably come along in the near future.  it has come a
long way yet still has a ways to go.

now, when the law of large numbers kicks in (ie a thousand desktop PCs),
the extra server labor amortized by the number of desktops makes it a no
brainer.  for the small business environment, though, extra server labor
is a bad thing.

seeya,

jim

ps i hope all is well at yonderway :-)