[TriLUG] microsoft ad

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Sat Mar 4 17:48:45 EST 2006

As one that does both of these in a test environment, where setting up
consistently is more important then almost anything other then the
testing, and we set up quite a few of both boxes each week, I will say
the following:

Linux is can be configured (through kickstarts and scripting) to set
itself up and configure with zero interaction.  This is based on using a
kickstart, and then scripting in the postinstall to catch the system
prior to the normal redhat firstboot, and then redirecting to script the
remainder of any production software that needs to be installed or
configured.  Reboots required == 1, user interaction required= boot the
system and select the installation type (test type).  End result, a
completely configured system the next time that it is powered on.
Number of Configs or CDs required == 1

Windows can be and is set up about the same.  CD required == 1 per
system type, because the unattended installer has to have custom paths
for each separate system.  Number of reboots required == 3 minimum (1 in
the OS install, reboot and then one following patch installation).  User
interaction required is to login and execute the patch installer and
verify that applications are installed.  End result is a system that is
completely configured the next time that it is powered on.  Windows does
not have the same install flexibility that the Linux kickstart does such
as allowing multiple different config types and that is the primary
weakness.

Time on the installers,

Linux about 10 minutes
Windows about 35 minutes

This is one the same system on a Gig network, so it is the
OS/Installer/Media (windows installs via CD not network).  But as Will
commented earlier, there are a multitude of ways to configure linux to
install and windows has quite a few similar options.

In closing I think that Magnus' point is that depending on the skillset
and the tools that the person installing/configuring has invested the
time in perfecting either windows or linux can be mass rolled out, and
configured relatively quickly.  The issue as I see it is that the end
user on the desktop is more likely to be able to keep a window box
running then a linux box (assuming standard exposure levels and not geek
exposure levels)

Matthew