[TriLUG] Ubuntu 5.10 not so Breezy w/64MB RAM

John Wheeler jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Tue Mar 7 00:12:08 EST 2006

Thanks for all the responses guys.
I had bit of trouble getting the correct nvidia drivers for this card
installed.
It's an old 8MB Vanta LT so i had to use legacy drivers.
After it was all said and done the Legacy drivers SOMEHOW caused
Ubuntu to quit recognizing my Belkin Wireless G card as a network
device  by default.
No ndiswrapper fixes helped. But in the end I didn't see any speed
advantages to using the official Nvidia drivers anyway.

I guess what it comes down to is old hardware.
I was interested in the xubuntu-desktop idea as it appears to be a
lighter desktop... but I couldn't find it in the Aptitude packages
listings.
I only saw references to it on the ubuntu site. I'm going to
investigate further.

Any other suggestions as to lighter desktop options would be
appreciated.
Again, all the suggestions were great. Thanks a lot!

John Wheeler