[TriLUG] Ubuntu 5.10 not so Breezy w/64MB RAM

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Tue Mar 7 01:34:42 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:12:08AM -0500, John Wheeler wrote:
> I was interested in the xubuntu-desktop idea as it appears to be a
> lighter desktop... but I couldn't find it in the Aptitude packages
> listings.

xubuntu-desktop is a metapackage that installs a bunch of lighter
packages. If you're just looking for a slimmer desktop environment, you
probably want xfce4 (another metapackage) instead of the full-blown
xubuntu-desktop.

Make sure you have the universe repository enabled, then:

$ sudo apt-get install xfce4

Log out of GNOME, and choose the Xfce4 option in the Session menu.

> Any other suggestions as to lighter desktop options would be
> appreciated.
> Again, all the suggestions were great. Thanks a lot!

There's also icewm, among (many) others.

Thanks,
Daniel T. Chen            crimsun at ubuntu.com
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc