[TriLUG] hosts.deny question?

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Tue Mar 7 09:58:13 EST 2006

What are you trying to accomplish here? Somebody said you should have
tcp wrappers, but why? And was that for Apache, or the server in
general?

The server should have it by default, but you can check by running:

  rpm -qi tcp_wrappers

As far as I can tell (I looked on Fedora 3 and RHEL 4), Apache is
probably not compiled to use tcp_wrappers. As Pat and Alan mentioned you
can check by running:

  strings /usr/sbin/httpd | grep hosts_access
    - or -
  ldd /usr/sbin/httpd | grep libwrap

Assuming Apache's httpd binary is in the same place I have it.

But, as I said, what are you trying to achieve. There are many
experience sysadmins and power users on this list and somebody can
probably help.

Owen