[TriLUG] hosts.deny question?

WA Brown brownwa at ftc-i.net
Tue Mar 7 23:28:41 EST 2006

I have an Apache 2.0 server running www.havenstead.net
Needless to say I am being probed and intrusion attempts all the time.
Especially from china and korea. I am trying to stop them. I would like to
totally block them from accessing my server in any way. Someone suggested
using .htaccess but that will only block that file. I want to stop them from
ssh,ftp,etc.
      As I said,I am new at this. I dont know most of the terminology and
basics. I have bought stacks of books and such but the way I learn is by
doing. Setting up the server,security,different levels of access,php,perl,
and so on. I have learned a lot but got a long way to go. When I have a
problem that I am trying to solve,I dont know the "vernacular" or "format"
of the different commands.
      I want the server to be secure with my being able to monitor it. But I
hope to get a group of people on it regularly. I want to have the http
server up,ftp,pop3 server when I am thru.
       I have another project I am looking into as well. I want to build and
setup a dial-in server. Where another computer can dial-i (as you would do
with your ISP) and the website will pull up. Something similar to the old
message boards. Something with a message board layout that will be easily
loaded. and a way for me to update files remotely (ftp?). This is mt next
project that I have been looking into.

Thanks,
WA Brown