[TriLUG] Best Linux Desktop and Desktop Apps?

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Fri Mar 10 12:50:35 EST 2006

see below

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Tarus Balog wrote:

--snipped--

> On to the questions:

--snipped--

> 2) Recommended apps? I believe I will have to have CodeWeavers just
> because my job requires access to Office and I'd like access to
> iTunes, but others:
>
> Office: OpenOffice, KOffice?

OpenOffice2.  Works pretty well.  Not completely MS-Office compliant (has
some features, lacks some fairly advanced (and obscure) (apparently)
features[1]

> iTunes: xmms?

or iTunes for Windows with Wine

> Photoshop: Gimp
> Mail: Thunderbird
> Browser: Firefox
> Widgets: ?
> Calendar: ?
> Address Book: ?
> Adium: ?
> iPhoto: Gallery?
> iMovie: ?
> iDVD: ?

--snipped--

[1] A friend of mine has transitioned his wife to Linux.  She uses Office
for paralegal stuff at her work and noticed the differences cited.  The
report is unless you do some really esoteric stuff, you shouldn't miss it.
I can get details if you want.