[TriLUG] wifi woes

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 20:50:09 EST 2006

Oh Jim, really.  You are not comparing apples to oranges here, in fact I'm
not even sure what you are doing.  Your FUD regarding 802.11 technology is
really getting old.  I've covered square miles with the stuff.  It works
great, when properly designed, deployed, etc, etc.

Is a 802.11 link between two buildings slower then a wired or fiber link?
Yeah.  Even if you are running 10 meg Ethernet or 4 meg token ring over your
wire or fiber.  That is not news.  Deploying 802.11 where it shouldn't be
leads to unhappy customers and users.  Deploying 802.11 where it is a good
idea, in homes, where 100 megs of bandwidth is not needed on a regular basis
for normal use the technology works great.

Now, on to the solution I read about at the end of this e-mail.  If you are
running a 802.11 with a WRT54GL I'd suggest going straight to OpenWRT.
Why?  You get the ability to adjust power settings down a bit (yes, I said
that) so you can add inexpensive amplification to you link if that is a
requirement.

Honestly that hold 802.11b (not "B") apple base station wasn't known for
good power to noise ratios or reliable signal patters.  You are better off
with anything else.  I'm partial to the Asus 500g Deluxe.  More expensive
then a WRT54GL, but not much.  But since you already have the hardware that
is a moot point.

Greg