[TriLUG] Best OpenGL card for Linux

Eli Rodriguez riesgo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 14:17:53 EST 2006

Hi Charles,

I haven't dealt with CG on the Linux desktop in a while, but I do remember
that the better cards were the Nvidia Quadro FX.

You might want to look at the 1100/1300/1400 or 3000/3400/3450 cards.  Just
be sure to check what form factor your motherboard accepts before purchasing
(ie: AGP (1100,3000) or PCI-Express (1300/1400,3400/3450)).

Comparisions:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

Maya Supported cards under Linux:
http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/index.jsp

We used to use FireGL cards, but they were less than impressive, in terms of
support, drivers, and features.  They showed promise back when FireGL 2/4
cards were the only ones you could use for content creation under Linux, but
they seemed to have dropped the ball since then.  Might be a lot better now,
it's been 2 years since we gave up up on ATI...

thanks,
--Eli