[TriLUG] Raid gurus?

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 18:55:50 EST 2006

That (pulling a drive from an array) sounds like an expensive, risky
(you have to open the box, after all) and time-consuming way to do
backups. raid1 is a great way to prevent some disasters, but (as Rick
pointed out) it's not for doing backups.

How much data are you needing to back up? More than 4GB at a time? If
not, you could use dd piped through gzip (or bzip2) to make image
backups that you write to a DVD. DVD burners are pretty cheap these
days.

Alternatively you could go with a backup service. There are plenty of
them out there. There are also backup appliances, but then you're
really talking about money.

-CMP