[TriLUG] GPLv3 -- What do you think?

Shane O'Donnell shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 20:49:03 EST 2006

There's also the issue of enforcement.  For argument's sake, say that
the kernel does go to GPLv3 (or even stays at v2--doesn't matter for
this argument).

Since the GPL is enforceable under copyright law, the only people with
grounds to bring an infringement claim are the holders of the
copyrights--and the courts require ALL OF THEM.

Now the dead guys seem to factor in a little bit more...

Note:  This is NOT how German courts handle it, as they require ANY
ONE copyright holder (which in turn allowed Harald Welte to bring
cases against Linksys, et al).

As always, IANAL (and IANAGL (G for German))...

Shane O.

Shane O.
========
Shane O'Donnell