[TriLUG] [OT] ESD issues

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sun Mar 19 18:11:28 EST 2006

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

--snip--

> You mention that static eletricity appears to be discharging on sheetrock
> walls - that's not too likely, as sheetrock is a good insulator; what's
> more likely to discharge the shock is the metal corner brackets that cover
> the corners around doorframes, hall entrances, etc.  These are covered by
> tape and paint to resemble sheetrock, but the charge can go through the
> paint pretty easily.

usually on convex wall corners...makes sense now.

> I do think part of the issue is that it's been a pretty dry winter and
> early spring, at least up here in the DC area where both you and I live.
> You may want to get a humidifier at home or even for your office if it's a
> relatively contained area.  Humidity plays a great part, as humid air
> bleeds the charge off your body quickly; dry air is a much better
> insulator and it allows it to build up easily.  (Water, after all, is a
> reasonably good conductor.)

office is reasonably contained....probably a 40x15 room that has 3 devs &
a team lead....maybe one of those "decorative" waterfall display things
would work and be unobtrusive?

> Remember that static charge builds when you walk across carpeted floors,
> so keep that in mind when touching doorknobs, walls, and light switches,
> after you walk across carpets.  Go barefoot when at home to avoid charge
> buildup if you can, rather than insulating rubber shoes which allows the
> charge to remain on your body.

usually do go barefoot in the house,,,,mayhap I need a humidifier....

--snip--

> Hope this helps,
>
> Jeremy

Thanks!