[TriLUG] Re: thermal evaluation of cpu

Wing D Lizard wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 20 09:34:12 EST 2006

John Mitchell wrote:
> On 3/16/06, John Mitchell wrote:
>> <snip>.
>>     What I need is a program(or several different ones) that will allow
>> us to do a Thermal evaluation of the processor - get it hot. <snip>
>
>    Thank for the suggestions Trilug, they were all great! I think we
> will go with Bret's script file as it follows the KISS principal(and
> does not need a hard drive, swap space or X11). I also forwarded the
> SETI and the benchmark link for their consideration.
>
> John Mitchell
I ( brett) likes jasonlf's suggestion of using

   md5sum /dev/urandom

instead of `md5sum /proc/kcore'.   reasons:
   1.  it doesn't run out.  -- you don't have to keep calling a script
to keep it
       running, and it's easier to control the number of processes (
sometimes my
       script might have less/more than 4 calcualting processes).
   2.  you don't have to be root -- read access to /proc/kcore requires
root access.

His is a better suggestion.

good luck.
  brett aka b² aka b\375 aka wingedlizard