[TriLUG] DNS Questions / Help

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Mar 24 17:41:06 EST 2006

Lisa C. Boyd wrote:

> Rick DeNatale wrote:
> > Try connecting to port 25 with telnet and see what the initial prompt
> > says it should be something like
>
> 220 spunkymail-a5.dreamhost.com ESMTP
>
> Is what I got in response. I'm gathering from ya'll's emails though
> that I'm not going to be able to change this anyway as this is on a
> shared virtual hosting server. OR is there something I need to add in
> the custom DNS panel?
>
> Thanks for your help :)
> Lisa B.

Unless I missed it in the thread some where, you haven't said what
domain you're actually checking up on, so it's hard to know if the above
output is correct.  Hypothetically, if your MX record points to
mail.example.com but you connect to that server and it says it's
spunkymail-a5.dreamhost.com, you should change your MX record so that it
says your pointing to spunkymail-a5.dreamhost.com.  That's roughly what
the original message was complaining about, if my understanding is
correct.  As the message said though, it's just a warning, and isn't at
all uncommon to have an MX record pointing to the A record
"mail.example.com", which is in fact something like
captnkirk.example.com, and responds as such in its connection greeting.
Whether you can control it or not, wether you choose to change your MX
or not, this one isn't worth loosing any sleep over.

Aaron S. Joyner