[TriLUG] DNS Questions / Help

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 18:44:30 EST 2006

> original domain checking: authentic-alternatives.com
> (mail.authentic-alternatives.com)
> reply from telnet: 220 spunkymail-a5.dreamhost.com ESMTP

And look at what dnsreports.com says for authentic-alternatives.com

WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host
other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit
code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). This
probably won't cause any harm, but is a technical violation of RFC821
4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP
greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server.

mx1.spunky.mail.dreamhost.com claims to be host straw.dreamhost.com
[but that host is at 205.196.219.5, not 66.33.219.35].
mx3.spunky.mail.dreamhost.com claims to be host
chopstick.dreamhost.com [but that host is at 64.111.107.12, not
66.33.219.42].
mx2.spunky.mail.dreamhost.com claims to be host spoon.dreamhost.com
[but that host is at 66.33.219.19, not 66.33.219.36].

It's pretty clear that it's the same mismatch I was talking about, the
A records for the names reported by the mail servers when you connect
to port 25 don't point back to those servers.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/