[TriLUG] Grub help?

Neil L. Little nllittle at vnet.net
Sat Mar 25 14:17:22 EST 2006

I can from "hard won" exerience from my recent dual-boot "hell", tell
you that using "grub-install" made the process easier.

Because I was using an NTFS format on my "winders" hard drive (hda) I
was having trouble getting my system to dual-boot
and had to go about it in a different manner. The NTFS file system
prevented me from writting the grub boot loader to that drive from my
FC4 drive (hdb).
After much hair pulling and searching, I finally found the solution in
the O'Reilly "PC Hacks book"
(Hack #94:  http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2337 ).
I booted to my Linux drive by changing the boot order in BIOS. After
getting my menu.lst (grub.conf) configured I ran "grub-install".
I wrote the grub boot loader sitting on the boot partition (hdb) to a
floppy using the "dd" command and called it "grub.bin".
   dd if=hdb1 of=/media/floppy1/grub.bin bs=512 count=1
I changed my boot order in BIOS again and booted into "winders".
Then moved that file into the root "winders" directory. All I had to do
after that was modify the boot.ini

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
Home Edition" /fastdetect
    c:\grub.bin="Fedora Core 4 Linux"

Every thing is now happy. I can now move forward to one day eliminating
that NASTY "winders" stuff on my first hard drive.

Neil Little, WA4AZL       JARS Forever!!   ... er TRULUG too!