[TriLUG] Best HD/TV or Regular TV card for linux

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 27 13:52:17 EST 2006

I gave up on HD playback using a PC before I even tried. But there
are options.

I am currently using the I-O Data LinkPlayer 2
	http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?
cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA
But there are many more options (hardware HD playback).

The problem is that is doesn't talk directly with MythTV, so you have
to do something about that. The most common solution is to just link
to your Myth recordings. The LP2 gets its show information from a web
server (wizd and swisscenter are two Linux compatible servers).

Also I was able to run Mythfrontend on my Intel Core Solo Mac Mini
and watch HD recordings and Live HD. This was a 512MB base model. It
worked better than I expected, but not 100%.

John