[TriLUG] Samba printers - give the drivers to Windows XP clients

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 22:07:54 EST 2006

ARG... I've run into another roadblock here.  As far as delivering the
driver to the client XP machines, I'm still failing there.  However, a
far worse problem has come up.  A user without "local administrator
rights" to their workstation cannot be prompted to choose the driver
of a network printer.  The network printer must deliver the correct
driver to the client.  If I don't get the driver automatically
delivered to the client, the users will NOT be able to install this
printer on their own as they are not allowed to pick and choose the
driver to install for the printer.  This would mean I would have to
visit each and every workstation individually to install this
printer... YUCK.  This does not paint a pretty picture for me.  :(

Well, I've bought steak dinners for people who have shown me the way
before.  Anyone know how to shine this light for me and is interested
in a steak dinner, let me know.  I know some of you will work for
Bojangles, and that's cool too.  :)  I'm seeking someone who can teach
this black magic I'm for some reason unable to figure out.  Matt P,
are you one of those candidates??  :D

alright, goodnight for now and thanks!
David McD