[TriLUG] [OT] I killed my laptop ...

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 16:25:38 EST 2006

On 3/29/06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> there's very little in modern electronics that will have a
> problem with (distilled) water or being dunked in Coke, if
> it's turned off. Everthing is encapsulated in plastic
> coating of some sort or other.

Normally, I would agree with this statement, but my experience with
new-ish Thinkpads tells me differently.  In my case, my T42 came into
intimate contact with ginger ale while en route to Dallas.  Within 30
seconds, the screen flickered and the unit shut down...permanently.

>From what I could see, the offending beverage only spilled onto the
keyboard, but the smell of ozone told a different story.  The unit had
to be replaced.    They just don't make 'em like they should.

MPF