[TriLUG] Migrating CVS to a new server

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Apr 5 10:52:20 EDT 2006

I've moved a WinCVS installation to a RHES box, so I have some reference
for what you're trying to do.

Basically the entire repository is self-contained.  Since you're moving
from one Red Hat system to another, that should further minimize the
difficulties.

Basically what I would suggest is this:
- Set up your new CVS server with the cvsroot in the same location as your
existing setup
- copy your existing CVS server's cvsroot contents (including special CVS
directories) to the new server's cvsroot
- replicate any user accounts necessary
- test the heck out of it

It should work.  Assuming it does, blow away your new CVS server's cvsroot
contents, replace them with your current CVS server's cvsroot contents,
shutdown CVS on the existing server, and swap boxes.

Now, when it comes to Subversion, I have't this sort of experience, but my
research at the time indicated that Subversion has some sort of tried and
generally reliable (being Open Source, they don't guarantee anything) CVS
-> SVN conversion utility.

HTH :)

--
William Sutton