[TriLUG] mhonarc

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 16:05:57 EDT 2006

I generally resort to kill -9 <pid> when something hangs.

There's also the init 1, init 5 sequence :)

WMM

On 4/5/06, Randy Barlow <randy at electronsweatshop.com> wrote:

> matt1027 wrote:
> > Mandriva has been bogging down lately to the point of being unusable.
> > top shows a program called mhonarc that is using 70% of memory.
> > Google search shows it is some kind of program that generates html
> > archives from various mail formats, which I have no idea where it came
> > from or how it got going.  When I do a kill 4465 (the pid) it just
> > keeps going.
> You could try kill -s KILL 4465 (sometimes the plain old kill command
> doesn't really kill things...)  Anybody have any elaborations on why
> this works by the way?  I've been using it for a while just because it
> works, but don't really understand the differences between kill and kill
> -s KILL.  Thanks!

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2