[TriLUG] mhonarc

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Wed Apr 5 16:21:13 EDT 2006

By default kill sends a TERM signal to the process. The process can
choose what to do with that signal - it can ignore it, as it is probably
doing in this case, or handle it and die cleanly. If it didn't register
a signal handling function for the particular signal, the OS will kill
it. A KILL signal (also -9) causes the OS to kill the process without
giving it a chance.

Make sense?

Additional reading:

man kill
man signal
view /usr/include/bits/signum.h (most Linux systems)

Owen