[TriLUG] Linux and EFI

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 15:24:42 EDT 2006

I note that Apple just announced that new versions of OS/X will
include something called "boot camp" which will allow booting Windows
on intel-macs which use the new Intel "Extensible Firmware Interface"
instead of BIOS.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

This got me to wondering about booting Linux on these machines, and
the state of EFI support for Linux.  Grub is pretty much tied to the
BIOS model, and I don't have any direct experience with lilo.

EFI support seems to be a feature of Grub 2 which appears to be in an
early stage of development, and there also seems to be an elilo, but
the project web page seems to be broken.

Any insights?

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site