[TriLUG] Linux and EFI

John Wheeler jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Sat Apr 8 15:58:58 EDT 2006

Thats exactly right. Bootcamp in and of itself is just some
convenience software. The firmware update is a BIOS toolkit for the
EFI bootloader to allow other operating systems to be easily
installed and managed at boot.

This functionality update was probably going to be saved for 10.5
Leopard but the hacker community was having so much success in it's
efforts to boot Windows on the Macintels that Apple stepped up to
make sure they maintained control of the boot process. (That is the
common assumption anyway... I buy it.)

Just for a bit of paranoia... some users have reported voiding
Warranty if you run bootcamp.
I don't personally think there's any merit to this but just FYI heres
the discussion on Apple Discussions.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2090507&#2090507

Keep it in mind.

John Wheeler