[TriLUG] qmail and RHEL 4 - all mail routed to same email...

John Jones john at networkveterans.com
Tue Apr 11 12:58:52 EDT 2006

I am not sure why so many people are down on qmail.  It is an
*extremely* secure MTA and also extremely stable.

Whoever "dumped" it on you probably knew what he was doing and should
most likely be commended.

qmail is touted as the second most popular MTA, right behind Sendmail.
I think we all know it is FAR more secure than Sendmail, which IMO has
an abysmal security record (at least, last I checked).

I don't care what we think of the author of this software, I have been
using it for over six years and have not had to patch it one time for
security purposes, and can probably count on one hand the number of
times I had to restart it.  In fact, I might not have ever had to
restart qmail because of a problem with qmail.  Sure, I ran out of HD
space, or filled up the log partition and had to restart, but not
usually (if ever) qmail's fault.

That said, qmail is not for a newbie, I will give you that.  All the
configuring is done by hand.

A very useful site would be http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html.

I am not sure exactly how to do what you are asking, but it looks like
this comes close:
http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#extension-addresses

It seems that qmail has wildcard matching, from looking at the example.
You would have to play around in the alias directory to get it right.
Other than that, you would need to set up a few files in your ./controls
directory.  Namely the "locals" file which configures what domains qmail
will accept mail for.

If you go through the trouble up front, you will have a stable, secure
and reliable MTA that will "just work" for years and years without
hardly an effort (my experience anyway).

I hope this helps.

-John