[TriLUG] Linux on MacIntel: What's the best way?

David W. Aquilina david at starkindler.us
Tue Apr 11 14:57:13 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:40:25AM -0400, Lee Fickenscher wrote:
> I read some on this yesterday. It seems that Linux distros are having
> trouble reading the partitions/partition table created by Boot Camp.
> From what I read, the kernel on the boot CD loads, but the install
> hangs trying to read the disk. I haven't tried any of this yet, as I
> don't have an intel mac, but I'm very interested in hearing more on
> the subject.

More likely than not the installer is expecting a disk with a MSDOS-style partition table, while the intel macs use a GPT-style partition table.

Should be a relatively simple change for most installers, and I'm sure at least a couple distributions are already working on getting intel mac support in place.

--
David W. Aquilina
david at starkindler.us