[TriLUG] Is it just me or...

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 15:14:31 EDT 2006

.. is this not one of the worst written pieces of technobabble you've seen?

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971

I ran across this via the del.ico.us rss feed.

It wanders around trying to make some misbegotten points about
object-orientation, compilation, and such.

For example:
"Continuing with the model car example, when you built the engine, you
didn't use any of the parts that would later build the seats (a 350
four-barrel engine with a seat belt sticking out if the piston would
look pretty silly). The point is that all the parts that made up the
engine were of a certain class of parts. They all went together. Ditto
with the body and then the interior."

"The point is that in these languages, you build objects out of
classes of commands to create the whole. Understand the terminology?"

Classes of commands?  All engines parts are of the same class?
Understand the terminology.  Why yes I do, but the author doesn't.

Then it starts to wind up with:

" So to answer the question of which to use where... use whichever
fits your needs. That sounds like a cop-out answer,"

BECAUSE IT IS!

It kind of makes me want to establish a Bulwer-Lytton contest for
technical writing, if one doesn't already exist.

Sorry for ranting, but for some reason this one really set me off.
--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/