[TriLUG] OT: Router vs Firewall, Was: OT: strange happenings - self booting server?

Barry Gaskins barry.gaskins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 13:12:47 EDT 2006

   I think the value of stateful packet filtering is the ability to look at
incoming packets and allow them if they are part of an existing ongoing
communication that someone on the inside of the firewall started.  So if my
web browser requests something from a server outside the firewall then the
response will be allowed to get through.  But if some packet comes in that
is not related to a request sent out then it can be dropped.

   I think some of the newer enhancements to stateful packet filtering will
even allow some new connection requests from the outside to get through IF
it is related to existing communication initiated from inside the firewall.
For example if you open an FTP session with an ftp server that is outside
the firewall then that ftp server can open another connection going back to
transfer data and the stateful packet filter will realise that it is related
and let it through.

   I am sure that some others on this list can give a better explaination
with more details for the experts.. That is a very basic explaination to
match my limited understanding.  But it might be easier for someone who is
not an expert to  understand.

    - Barry Gaskins