[TriLUG] OT: A C++ Templated Class Problem

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 14:08:04 EDT 2006

On 4/14/06, Owen Berry <oberry at trilug.org> wrote:
> Templates are powerful, but IMHO they just aren't that easy to read and
> understand in the first place. If you really want clean, generate the
> code for each template type. I don't know of anything off-hand to do
> that for you.

I disagree that they aren't easy to read.  I think they read just fine.
You just have to have a mindset that understands templates.

In a different message, Randy Barlow <randy at electronsweatshop.com> wrote:

> Hmm, that did seem to resolve the linker errors, thanks!  Is there any
> way to do it without putting all the code in the header though?  I only
> ask because I just wanted to keep things clean and easy to read and
> understand by separating the interface from the implementation.

You could just add this at the end of the header file:

#include <filename.cpp>

That would get you the separation you want.  You could even
change the file suffice to be something like .ii (for c++ inlines)
so you don't confuse it with normal c++ source files that are
meant to be compiled as normal.

Cheers,
Tanner
--