[TriLUG] Open Source Propaganda

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 11:24:42 EDT 2006

I think that for many people moving to Open Source is too much of a
paradigm shift to be justified in a quick paragraph. What you might do
instead is put some bullet points in a brochure and talk about them
with people (either in person or on a website you refer them to). Some
points I would include:

Open source Software...

* ...Is often better, sometimes the best in its class
     * Apache, openssh
     * The Open Source model of collaboration makes for better
software and happier developers
* ...Is easier to secure.
* ...Is free as in freedom.
     * Tailor it to your needs
     * You can't be tied down by the original author(s)
* ...Follows transparent standards
* ...Has both professional and community support
* ...Is getting better faster

Feel free to chime in with other bullet points, folks

-CMP