[TriLUG] Apache2 Strange Behavior

Brian Blater (BBList) bblist at ridetta.org
Mon Apr 24 08:17:26 EDT 2006

<deb2337a0604210840x2830b022i4c4a5c0816505852 at mail.gmail.com>,
rick.denatale at gmail.com wrote:
> Look for the option DirectoryIndex somewhere in your configuration
> files or .htaccess files.  This can be in the context of the host
> configuration, a virtual host configuration, a directory
> configuration, or .htaccess if AllowOverride Indexes is set.

The DirectoryIndex in the httpd.conf file has index.html index.html.var. The only other DirectoryIndex is is the conf.d/php5.conf file and they are index.php. I don't have any .htaccess files at this time.

> This directive gives the list of urls which Apache will look for in
> the case of a url ending with a /, the default is index.html but it
> might be overridden in your case.
>
> Options Indexes tells Apache ot generate the html index of a directory
> in the case that it doesn't find one of the urls specified by
> DirectoryIndex

Yes, the Options Indexes does list all the files in the doc root for the default server. So, for some reason it is not seeing the index.html in the doc root directory even though it is there.

> HTH
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
> http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/
> --

Any other ideas why apache is not seeing the index.html file even though it is clearly there?

Thanks,
Brian