[TriLUG] Off-topic (But in the spirit of DIY!): can anybody recommend a good online source for CAT5 equipment?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:28:25 EDT 2006

On 4/26/06, Steve Hoffman <srhoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a big fan of http://www.cablestogo.com/.  Been usign them for a while
> for both personal and business purposes.

I haven't used their networking cable, but I've had mixed success with
A/V stuff.  I bought some audio video interconnects for my living room
a/v stack and one of the RCA jacks on a composite video cable detached
itself from the end of a cable after a year or so of use.  I'm
suspicious that another of the cables has become intermittent as well.

> I've even wired a few homes with
> their "composite" cable which cuts a wiring jobs time in third (it's 2 cat5e
> and one rg-6qs in one jacket great for getting phone, network and tv to
> every room in the house).  Their prices are fairly low and they've got some
> of the more off the wall things I've needed too.

We wired our house with a similar cable from Genesis cable, but it had
2 cat5e and two quad shield RG-6.  Two RG-6 cables to the same place
lets you send modulated video from a devices like a satellite
receiver, camera, etc. back to a central wiring closet for in-house
redistribution.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site