[TriLUG] Assigining an IP address to a print server using ARP in linux?

Chad Thomsen chad.thomsen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 07:49:18 EDT 2006

I have an old Axis print server I use for a line pritner here at work.
Issue is it won't respond to the Axis IP wizard software. I ran a network
sniffer and the print server is sending arp, NetBIOS and Appletalk packets
out so I know it is some what functional.  I did a little googling and found
a strange instance of somebody commuting and assigning it an IP address with
a similar device using ARP.  Unfortunalty they did not provide that much
info about how they did it.  Sounds a bit wacky to me but I wondered if
there is a way or if I should shit can this print server and get a new
one.   I would rather not shit can it because its for an propritory AS400
IBM line printer, and the print server may be a bit hard to find.  The print
server is actually made for IBM by AXIS and has no indication that it was
made by AXIS, but if you are somewhat observant you can put two and two
toghater and see that it is an AXIS print server.  Yes I have contaced AXIS
via email and they said its currently unsupported.

Thanks!

Chad