[TriLUG] Problem with LVM

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Apr 30 15:11:07 EDT 2006

Should the RAID device be being seen as a physical volume?

# lvmdiskscan -v
  /dev/md0  [      111.79 GB]
  /dev/hda1 [      101.94 MB]
  /dev/hdc1 [        5.59 GB]
  /dev/hde1 [      111.79 GB] LVM physical volume
  Found duplicate PV 7LOs90S2Ff8W7Tq8ZGRsT41lphbExsLh: using /dev/hdg1
not /dev/hde1
  /dev/hdg1 [      111.79 GB] LVM physical volume
  /dev/hda2 [        7.71 GB]
  /dev/hdc2 [        2.28 GB]
  /dev/hda5 [       37.26 GB]
  /dev/hda6 [       37.26 GB]
  0 disks
  7 partitions
  0 LVM physical volume whole disks
  2 LVM physical volumes

To review, /dev/md0 is a RAID1 of /dev/hde1 /dev/hdg1.

When I originally cerated the volume group, I created it on the RAID device
#  vgcreate localvg /dev/md0

I'm not sure whether the display from lvmdiskscan above is normal and expected
when using LVM on top of a software RAID device.

---Tom