[TriLUG] Problem with LVM

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Apr 30 15:17:30 EDT 2006

On Sunday 30 April 2006 11:29 am, T. Bryan wrote:

> mount: special device /dev/localvg/lv_local1 does not exist
>
> I figured that something was wrong with my init scripts, but everything
> seems to be in place.  I've just lost /dev/localvg.

So, vgmknodes seemed to be a reasonable way to get it back.  From the man
page,

vgmknodes - recreate volume group directory and logical volume special
       files

Great!

# vgmknodes -v
    Finding all logical volumes
  Found duplicate PV 7LOs90S2Ff8W7Tq8ZGRsT41lphbExsLh: using /dev/hdg1
not /dev/hde1
  /dev/localvg: opendir failed: No such file or directory

Bummer!  Isn't that the "volume group directory" that vgmknodes is supposed to
be creating?

---Tom