[TriLUG] dotProject and vTiger

Dhruv Gami gami at d10systems.com
Tue May 2 15:24:25 EDT 2006

Allen StClair wrote:
> I took a look at dotProject and vTiger and they seemed like good products.
> Do you have any direct experience using these products? Are there other open
> source alternatives that might be better for CRM/Project management?

I've been using dotproject for over 8 months now. In our setup, we
actually had to strip down functionality for the first usable release
within the organization, and add our own custom-built timesheet
management module to it. The programmer who worked on this project for
us was totally inexperienced with PHP and yet picked it up in about 3
weeks and was able to complete the requirements in the next 3 weeks of
coding/testing time. I believe it to be a very short learning curve,
compared to the time people spend learning Java etc, and the fact that
dotProject was fairly well documented and supported on IRC. It's pretty
stable to use.

I havent worked with vTiger, so can't comment on that.

hope this helps.

regards,
Gami