[TriLUG] Wrong print manager

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed May 10 12:16:56 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,
   This is the first in what will probably be a series of threads I
start to solve some of the remaining glitches I'm running across in
getting my fresh Edge installation configured the way I like it.

The problem is CUPS.  Nothing seems to be using it; all my apps are
defaulting to another print manager (not sure which).  I'm in KDE, and
if I click K-Menu -> System -> Printers (/usr/bin/foomatic-gui), I'm
prompted for the root password and nothing further happens.  If I head
to the command line and type foomatic-gui, I get "Unable to read printer
database."

Thing is, I want to use CUPS.  I like it; it works well; I know how to
configure it.  K -> Settings -> Printing Manager (kcmshell printmgr)
works mostly normally.  With a slight hiccup of it doesn't quite find
drivers correctly, but I can work around that by browsing directly to
the .PPD I need.

So how do I get my apps to actually recognize CUPS as the printing
manager?  It used to be that I had a choice of all printers on all print
managers when I'd select a printer in some apps, I'd see stuff like:
   CUPS/myprinter
   PostScript/myprinter
and such.  Now all I see in most apps is "Generic Printer" and nothing
else, despite having several printers and pseudo-printers set up in the
K Printing Manager.

I vaguely recall having to deal with something like this when I first
set up Sarge, but that was over a year ago now, and I -er- misplaced my
notes... (read: didn't take any)

Cheers,
~Brian