[TriLUG] Problem with LVM

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed May 10 23:20:29 EDT 2006

So...where we left off with my LVM problem.  I added /dev/hde1 and /dev/hdg1
to the lvm.conf filters, but then lvmdiskscan was not detecting /dev/md0 as
an LVM physical volume.

Here's what I tried ('cause I was running out of ideas).

I used fdisk on /dev/hde and /dev/hdg.

I changed /dev/hde1 from Linux partition (83) to Linux LVM (8e).
I changed /dev/hdg1 from Linux partition (83) to Linux raid autodetect (fd).

Now, when I reboot, I have the same problem as before.  It looks like LVM is
up and /dev/md0 has been started according to mdadm.  Unfortunately,
lvmdiskscan still does not detect /dev/md0 as an LVM physical volume.

So, I tried

# mdadm -S /dev/md0
# /etc/init.d/lvm stop
# mdadm -As /dev/md0
# /etc/init.d/lvm start

Now, LVM sees /dev/md0, and I can mount it.  (I've changed the mount options
to read only for now until I figure out whether my RAID is completely bogux.)

# lvmdiskscan -v
  /dev/md0  [      111.79 GB] LVM physical volume
  /dev/hda1 [      101.94 MB]
  /dev/hdc1 [        5.59 GB]
  /dev/hda2 [        7.71 GB]
  /dev/hdc2 [        2.28 GB]
  /dev/hda5 [       37.26 GB]
  /dev/hda6 [       37.26 GB]
  0 disks
  6 partitions
  0 LVM physical volume whole disks
  1 LVM physical volume

Now, I'm just trying to figure out whether I should figure out how to get this
all to work at boot time...or whether I should view the whole thing as
suspect, copy off the data, and rebuild the RAID as a mirror with 1 disk and
then mirror it.

# grep default /etc/inittab
# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

# ls -1 /etc/rc2.d/S* | grep -e md -e lvm
/etc/rc2.d/S25mdadm
/etc/rc2.d/S25mdadm-raid
/etc/rc2.d/S26lvm

If any of this rings any bells or makes the problem obvious to someone, I'd
love to hear it.

Thanks,
---Tom