[TriLUG] Announcement of Candidacy of David Brendlinger for TriLUG Steering Committee !

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu May 11 11:02:21 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, David Brendlinger <sanmanspam at hotmail.com> wrote:
> We are slated to elect five new Steering Committee members for this year.
> Last year we needed to elect three more people to the board due to
> vacancies.  May I propose that the two "at large" positions in the Steering
> Committee be created in order to provide experienced people to the Steering
> Committee ?   The increase of people on the Steering Committee would also
> reflect the great growth of TriLUG and the growth of the board's
> responsibilities.

Just a bit of clarification here.  Each year we *always* elect 5 Steering
Committee Members.  Each term is for one year, ending in May.
Current members, however, are allowed and often do, run for reelection.

I don't believe adding two more positions to the SC will help.  In fact,
I think it will not help.  For one, it can be difficult at times just to come
up with five people willing to serve.  For another, that's just two more
people to have to schedule meetings with.  Finally, I believe what you're
trying to accomplish can be done with judicious sub committee formation
and appointments (as I've suggested with a sys admin committee) and
that would encourage other members of the LUG who aren't on the SC
to volunteer (something that is sorely needed).

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace