[TriLUG] one more fresh system question: vi weird

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu May 11 13:24:32 EDT 2006

Brilliant!  Edge is Debian, but so is Ubuntu (more or less), so the same
applies.  My 'update-alternatives --display vi' output:

vi - status is auto.
  link currently points to /usr/bin/nvi
/usr/bin/nvi - priority 30
  slave vi.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/nvi.1.gz
/usr/bin/vim - priority 20
  slave vi.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/vim.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/nvi.

So you're correct.  'vi' is pointing at nvi, and not vim (though vim is
also present on the system, as you can see).  I'm going to just
uninstall nvi, but for curiosity's sake, short of removing it, what's
the right way to repoint 'vi' such that 'update-alternatives' is aware
of it?

Thanks a ton!  That was the last major piece of this puzzle.  Things are
pretty much back to normal now.

~Brian