[TriLUG] Newly generated gpg keys

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Sat May 13 21:14:42 EDT 2006

On 5/13/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's all consistent with my thinking.  I have been chastised by one
> or two folks for re-uploading their key for them.  I still don't fully
> understand why.

At one point, some of the key servers had problems handling
PGP keys with sub keys.  Uploading it to the wrong server could
severely mess up the key and cause extreme havoc for the person
who's key it was.  I know at least some key servers were
specifically created to deal with that problem.  Jeremy Portzer
could probably explain it in much better detail than me.
And, it's entirely possible this problem no longer exists.

But, because of this, and because I think the etiquette is
better anyway, unless someone tells me in advance to upload
their key that I have signed to a key server, I just send it back
to them and let them do it (because if they upload it to the
wrong key server and mess it up, it's their fault and not mine. :-P ).

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace