[TriLUG] Newly generated gpg keys

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon May 15 15:27:44 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > gpg --send-keys <yourkeyId> will send it out to a key server where it
> > will be passed around like the stomach virus in a kindergarten class
> > to all the keyservers.
>

> I tried once from dargo and it failed.
>
> [porter at dargo porter]$ gpg --send-keys 57367482
> gpg: can't connect to `www.mandrakesecure.net': No route to host
> gpg: keyserver send failed: network error
>
> Should we just pick some random keyserver out there in internet land and
> use the --keyserver option?

Well, first off, if you have any private keys on a shared machine, especially
something like dargo, I'd immediately revoke your public keys and generate
new ones on a private machine... preferably one not connected to the internet.
The only way a private key has any meaning that it was you who wrote a message
is that you guarantee that it has not been accessed by anyone else and if
you've got it on a shared system then there's no way to guarantee that.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace