[TriLUG] MTA to MTA through mail.trilug.org

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue May 16 16:36:02 EDT 2006

On 5/16/06, Ken Mink <ken.mink at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's what's in my log:
> May 16 15:41:57 bwg3 postfix/smtp[12635]: certificate verification failed
> for mail.trilug.org: num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
> May 16 15:41:57 bwg3 postfix/smtp[12635]: Server certificate could not be
> verified
> May 16 15:41:58 bwg3 postfix/smtp[12635]: 0A8474280D: to=<
> address at other.domain>, relay=mail.trilug.org[64.244.27.142], delay=2,
> status=deferred (Authentication failed: SASL authentication failed; server
> mail.trilug.org[64.244.27.142] said: 535 Error: authentication failed)

Ken,

While it is try that you have an SSL error, that's not what's stopping
your email from going through.  The last message is what's causing
trilug not to relay.  As all good e-mail servers are configured, the TriLUG
mail server is configured to NOT relay mail, except in one very special
circumstance.  That circumstance is when you've authenticated with
a valid username and password (alternatively, I think it may relay when
mail is sent from localhost too, but we may want to reconsider that).
So, your postfix must be configured with your username and password
for the TriLUG mail server to relay.  This means you will have to store
it in plaintext on your server at home and that, sadly, is a violation
of the TriLUG Terms of Service (or at least it would be if we had
ever written them down completely).  So, I would suggest what
Chris suggested that you relay through the RoadRunner SMTP
servers, since that's what they're their for when you have RR service.

Cheers,
Tanner
P.S. TriLUG switched to a CACert SSL Cert for the web server
during the last meeting but we should now also go ahead and
do the same thing for smtp, imap and pop too at some point.
One more thing to add to the agenda of the soon to be formed
Sys Admin committee?

--
Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com