[TriLUG] MTA to MTA through mail.trilug.org

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed May 17 21:57:59 EDT 2006

Lee Fickenscher wrote:

> On May 16, 2006, at 5:11 PM, Ken Mink wrote:
>
>> As for using RR was a relay, I'm slightly tinfoil hatish and I  don't
>> want RR
>> storing every email I send.
>

> If your packets are going through their network unencrypted they can
> reconstruct your emails in their entirety if they really wanted to so
> there is little reason NOT to use their email servers. You are, after
> all, already paying for the privilege. :)
>
> -Lee

Well his paranoia would superficially be alleviated if he gateways via
SSL/TLS through one of the TriLUG boxen.  That way it's not going
through his RR cable connection in the clear.  That's a foolish
assumption though, because if you look at who provides the internet
connectivity to TriLUG's provider, you discover they're routing at least
a portion of their traffic through twtelecom.net.  To be clear, of
course, TWTC is not the same group with in Time/Warner that operates the
road runner service (TWTC is the commercial bandwidth side of the house,
admittedly much more professional but themselves prone to bizarre
problems from time to time).  So you should basically accept that either
a) you need to encrypt everything you send and receive between your
endpoint and the remote endpoint, or b) you can't really reliably get
away from sending some reasonably-sized portion of your data through
some division of Time/Warner in the Triangle area.

Aaron S. Joyner