[TriLUG] appropriate use of privileged access to TriLUG-owned resources

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Thu May 18 17:54:37 EDT 2006

> > What I believe is not his privilege is to misuse his administrative
> > privileges to the TriLUG servers to also get the channel bot to ignore my
> > requests for the services it provides.

> I believe it is in my pervue to place a ban on resources to those I feel are
> abusing them.  In this case, the ban was temporary.  I did this with the
> full knowledge of at least one member of the sitting SC.

The channel bot is not a right, but a privilege.  If its (ab)use is
noticed by a person of administrative credentials and restrictive
action is taken, it is done for the protection and courtesy of other
users in channel.  I do not have a problem with this.

If it is done as the result of a vendetta, then it is a different
matter and the SC would deal with this in private.

> > ...Mr. Otte gave the beauracratic response along the
> > lines of "I am the system administrator.  If you don't like it, take it up
> > with the system administrator."

This was a procedural response and it was the correct one.  As a
matter of course, I don't believe any censure of Mr Otte is necessary.
 The alleged "misuse of administrative privileges" has been reversed.

However, in order to create a precedent, I would ask that all former
SC members with administrative credentials inform the SC before taking
similar action.  This is a matter of courtesy.  Mr Otte seems to have
fulfilled this request.

Matt Frye
SysAdmin, Steering Committee