[TriLUG] Re: Dell Latitude D620 laptop

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Wed May 24 13:43:16 EDT 2006

Yes, you would need a mini-pci slot, a bios that doesn't lock out
unapproved cards, and an antenna to connect it to.

The antenna can be fixed by purchasing an internal antenna and winding
it around carefully in free space within your laptop.  The mini-pci slot
may currently be in use by your laptop to provide wired ethernet or a
modem.  In my laptop the ethernet was built in leaving the mini-pci slot
for the wireless card.  On an older dell c600 I own the mini-pci slot
contains a 3com ethernet adapter.  In some dell c610's they have a free
mini-pci slot that you can add wireless adapters too (I don't know if
the bios is blocked or not).

You wouldn't easily see the mini-pci slot if you have one, it is not
normally easily accessible like the memory slots are.  Many laptops
require you to crack them fully open to access the mini-pci slot, it
isn't normally considers user serviceable.  The Dell c610 was an
exception, there was a cover easily removed just for access to the
mini-pci slot.