[TriLUG] Re: I need a really fast Internet connection at the Outer Banks

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri May 26 03:42:24 EDT 2006

Greg Brown wrote:

> 100 meg burst, at least.  It's starting to look like a lot of money.
>
> Greg

Did you get any hard quotes from vendors?  If so, would you mind sharing
them?  Pricing info that I know I can't give out for non-disclosure
reasons of previous employers, not more specific than powers of ten at
least.  I can say that the previous poster's assertion that cost is
directly related to physical build out is very true, and his example of
$3000 for 5Mb/s of guaranteed bandwidth is reasonable.  The build out
was probably a painful upfront cost, and if you want a burst rate over
the base the cost of that burst bandwidth is going to be more $/Mb used
than the $3k/5Mb formula.  Although, once you have the line in place,
upgrading from 5Mb/s to 50Mb/s (for example) is just a phone call, so
you can scale up and down your bandwidth requirements, perhaps with as
low as 1-month granularity.  Ie. you might be able to upgrade on Monday
to 50Mb/s for the remainder of the month, then down-grade next-month
with no big fees, depending on your contract.

Anyway, if you can provide rough numbers based on actual quotes, it's
likely to be useful to some one some where.  Also, as a word to the
wise, location really matters.  So don't try to apply anyone's numbers
to your exact situation with out allowing ~15-30% margin of error for
distance from the CO, etc.  Regardless getting with in a range helps
people understand the economics better.

Aaron S. Joyner